Sunday, December 26, 2010

Leftovers?

          I hope everyone had a great holiday!  Along with a great holiday there's a great holiday dinner.  So what do you do with the leftovers if you had turkey?  Here's a recipe I came up with a few years ago when I was trying to figure out what to do with leftover chicken.  I've gotten so many compliments that I thought I would share it with you!


Turkey/Chicken Curry Salad

This is a great way to use up your leftovers.  There are just a few ingredients and I bet you have most of them in your pantry right now.  This salad is great as a light lunch with tomatoes and crackers, or on a sandwich.  The tartness of the apple is a great contrast to the sweetness and spice of the curry.

Leftover turkey or chicken
1 tart green apple, I usually use Pippins
1 yellow onion
Curry powder to taste  (I get mine from the bulk spice aisle at Whole Foods)
Pinch of salt
Mayonnaise or Heinz Salad Cream to taste  (available at Cost Plus in the States.  It's like the British version of Miracle Whip and is a bit more vinegary which is why I like it.)


Cut turkey or chicken into cubes.  Cut both apple and onion into pieces about the same size as the poultry.  Place in bowl with turkey/chicken and add as much curry as you like.  Add in salt, then add half as much mayonnaise as you like.  Stir well, taste, then add more curry, salt, or mayonnaise.  (I have found when making this salad that sometimes you don't need as much of the condiments as you think you might.)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment