Saturday, December 25, 2010

Bonus Pattern!

             Here's a little christmas surprise, a bonus pattern.  I was knitting up a present for one of my friends when I realized that I didn't have anything planned for her partner.  Luckily I have a yarn store nearby, http://www.knit-purl.com/store/pc/home.asp, which carries a good selection of Cascade 220.  I found a great dark red, and started trying to figure out what to make.  Not everyone likes arm warmers but I figured everyone needs a hat here in rainy Portland.  I had made my friend a Cloche Call and thought that if I modified it the basic idea would make a great men's hat.  I omitted the button, made the garter band a bit thinner, and gave the whole thing a closer fit.  If you've made the Cloche Call, why not make a partner for your partner?
           Hope you all have a great holiday, and thank you to those who are following the blog, it gives me a lot of encouragement to see that people are coming here and viewing the patterns.  I always welcome suggestions and comments, and if you want to share, send me your pictures, I love to see what people do with the patterns!  As always, the patterns are for personal use, and please reference me as the designer when using them.





It’s Not a Cloche Call At All
2 double point needles, size 8
1 16” circular needle, size 6
Darning needle
1 ball Cascade 220 Superwash, color 855, maroon
Gauge:  4.5 sts to 1”
Here’s a simple men’s hat that I came up with when finishing a Cloche Call as a present  for one of my friends.  I was stumped as to what to knit for her partner until I came up with the idea of modifying the Cloche Call hat for men.  I omitted the side button and sewed the band together, still picking up and knitting in the round for the rest of the hat.  It’s a fast and easy knit just like the Cloche Call, perfect for making up as a last minute gift.    



Cast on 10 sts with size 8 dpns, you will only need two for the band.  Work back and forth on them as you would with any straight needles.  
Work in garter stitch for 20”, bind off, leaving last st on needles
Using smaller circular needles and starting at stitch left over from bind off, and counting that stitch as the first, pick up 100 sts around top of band
Join and purl one round, marking beginning of round with a marker
Work in st st until piece measures 5”
Decrease row 1:  ssk, knit 18, repeat 4 more times
Knit 1 round
Decrease row 2:  ssk, knit 17, repeat 4 more times
Knit 1 round
Decrease row 3:  ssk, knit 16, repeat 4 more times
Knit 1 round
Decrease row 4:  ssk, knit 15, repeat 4 more times
Knit 1 round
Decrease row 5:  ssk, knit 14, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 6:  ssk, knit 13, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 6:  ssk, knit 12, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 7:  ssk, knit 11, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 8:  ssk, knit 10, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 7:  ssk, knit 9, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 8:  ssk, knit 8, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 9:  ssk, knit 7, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 10:  ssk, knit 6, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 11:  ssk, knit 5, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 12:  ssk, knit 4, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 13:  ssk, knit 3, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 14:  ssk, knit 2, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 15:  ssk, knit 1, repeat 4 more times
Decrease row 16:  ssk across round
Cut yarn, leaving a tail about 9”
Thread tail onto darning needle and pull through remaining 5 sts
Sew garter stitch band ends together
Weave in ends
Wear and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment