Monday, November 22, 2010

A Dark and Stormy Knit

Here's the newest pattern!  This one is a pullover, inspired by a new colour of Malabrigo Worsted at my LYS, Paris Night.  Malabrigo Worsted is one of the softest wools I've ever come across.  You can find it here, http://www.malabrigoyarn.com/.   I thought this dark purplish colourway was perfect for fall and have been wearing nonstop since I finished it, especially with the cold weather we have been having here in Portland.  (It's supposed to snow today, in fact.)  If you're here in Portland I hope you're home with a cup of cocoa and your knitting!

I apologize for the photos for this one, they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.  One of these days I'm going to find someone to help me with the photographs, but for right now, it's just me and my second hand camera.  (Which doesn't always work like it should.  The flash appears to have a mind of it's own.  Sometimes it works, sometimes not.)  The sweater looks great on, with 3/4 length sleeves, and the feather and fan cuff.  If you haven't done lace before, don't be afraid.  This is a four row repeat, with the lace on only one row, so it's not too bad.  Be brave and try it!

As always, feel free to use the pattern to make yourself a sweater but please remember to reference me as the designer.  If you have any questions post them here and I will do my best to help.  Thanks for looking!



It was a Dark and Stormy Knit...........
3 skeins Malabrigo Worsted, col. Paris Night
Size 9 circular needles, 24”
4 st markers, one of a contrasting colour
Scrap yarn
Sweater is 34” around at underarm
Gauge: 4 sts to 1” on size 9 needles
Feather and fan from the top down
(Worked back and forth in rows)
Row 1:  (WS) knit
Row 2:  (RS) knit
Row 3:  (WS) purl
Row 4:  (RS)  k4, (k2tog 3 times, yo, k1 6 times, ssk 3 times) repeat to last 2 sts, k4
1x1 Rib
Row 1:  k1, p1, repeat across row
Repeat row 1 for all following rows
I love Malabrigo Worsted, it’s not only soft and a quick knit, the colours are wonderful.  I was in my LYS looking for yarn for a sweater when I stumbled across a new colour, Paris Night.  It didn’t work out for the sweater I originally intended it for, but while swatching it I came up with an idea for my own design.  The colours of the yarn bring to mind a windswept fall evening.  
Sweater is worked from the top down.  Because of this the feather and fan lace is worked in reverse, so the yarn overs are on the last row. 
Body: 
Cast on 80 sts
Place the contrasting colour marker for beginning of row and knit 1 row
Marker set up row:  sm, knit 8, pm, knit 32, pm, knit 8, pm, knit 32
Increase row:  sm, kfb, knit to 1 st before marker, kfb, repeat 3 more times
Knit 1 row plain
Here's a close up of the colour.  Love the grey and purple mix!
Repeat these two rows 15 more times, (208 sts)
Divide for body and sleeves:  
Knit across 64 sts for front, sm, place 40 sleeve sts on scrap yarn, remove marker, repeat once more
Body:  working on 128 sts left on needles, work 9 rows even
Decrease row:  sm, k1, ssk, knit to 3 sts before marker, k2tog, k1, repeat once more
Work 6 rows even
Repeat these 7 rows 3 more times, (112 sts)
Work 9 rows even
Increase row:  sm, k1, m1, knit to 1 st before marker, m1, k1, repeat once more
Work 7 rows plain
Repeat these 8 rows twice more (124 sts)
Knit for a further 15 rows
Work 4 rows of 1x1 rib
Bind of

Sleeves:
Using size 9 needles, transfer 40 sts from holder or scrap yarn
Pick up 1 st from underarm, knit across sleeve sts, pick up 1 st at end of row
Do not join.  Sleeve is worked back and forth on needles.
Work back and forth in st st for 9”, end with RS row
Begin Feather and Fan sleeve detail
Row 1:  (WS) knit
Row 2:  (RS) knit
Row 3:  (WS) purl
Row 4:  (RS) k4, (k2tog 3 times, yo, k1 6 times, ssk 3 times) repeat to last 2 sts, k4
Repeat these 4 rows 5 times more
Bind off
Wear and enjoy!
Feather and fan lace detail at cuff  

No comments:

Post a Comment