Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Better Late Than Never!

Pattern #12 is, unfortunately, showing up a bit late this week.  I started a new job on the 10th and it's been a whirlwind for the last two weeks!  (Don't think I'm complaining, I'm thrilled about the job and the great people that I work with!)  My time for knitting has been fairly limited but I came up with this pattern and I hope you enjoy it.  I got requests for another crocheted item and I hope this scarf makes the crocheters happy.  It gently curves around your neck for easy wearing because of it's construction, and since it's made in small pieces that are sewn together, it's easily portable.  I called it Bubbles because the colors reminded me of the iridescence of soap bubbles on a sunny day.





Bubbles 







1 ball Skacel Crazycolor sock yarn
Size E crochet hook

hdc-half double crochet
sc-single crochet
Gauge is not necessary for this project
Sometimes you find a great yarn but aren’t quite sure what to do with it.  I saw this Skacel sock yarn in one of my LYS and loved the combination of colors but I don’t like to knit socks.  It thought about making another entrelac scarf but wasn’t really in the mood for that.  I like to try out new ways of making ordinary items and so I came up with a series of octagons, sewn onto one another, that would curve slightly when finished.  This curve helps the scarf sit on easily on the neck when worn.  The plus is that as a sock yarn it’s easily washable!
Chain 4, join chain with slip st to form a circle
Sc, then work 7 scs into circle
Next round:  work a hdc into each sc twice  (14 hdcs)
The two hdcs will form a “V”.  All increases will be worked into these Vs.
Round 1:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next st, repeat 6 more times
Round 2:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 2 sts, repeat 6 more times
Round 3:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 3 sts, repeat 6 more  times
Round 4:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 4 sts, repeat 6 more times
Round 5:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 5 sts, repeat 6 more times
Round 6:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 6 sts, repeat 6 more times
Round 7:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 7 sts, repeat 6 more times
Round 8:  work two hdcs into next st, work one hdc into next 6 sts, repeat 6 more times
Work a slip st into next st and fasten off
Make 13 more of the octagons
I decided to graduate the colors in my scarf but feel free to put them together in any combination.  Sew one of the eight sides from point to point, then move to the opposite side of the octagon and sew the next octagon onto it in the same manner until they are all joined.  
Sew in ends
Wear and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment